10 SMALL STEPS TO A GREENER EXISTENCE
I think we all know in what a bad condition our planet is. And we all contribute to its destruction on a daily basis. Don’t worry I don’t want to be the moralizer, but I’m convinced, that if everyone of us would just make a little effort in their daily life, we can change something.
Below I listed a few things I’m trying to avoid or do different to live a greener life. And I’m pretty sure, that these are things we all could adapt in our life, without having to make big sacrifices.
- Bring your own shopping bag to the grocery store
- Avoid taking the small plastic bags in the vegetable/fruit corner. I use to weigh the fruit directly, without a bag. In the meantime in some grocery stores in Switzerland they offer reusable bags to weigh the food.
- I’m trying to buy as locally as possible. Only with the avocados I have a weak point. Trying to reduce my consume of avocados.
- Stop buying water in bottles. Instead, get a refillable water bottle.
- Use a refill system for your beauty products, especially for shampoo. I use the shampoo and conditioner from Björn Axen (Organic moisturizer gentle shampoo, which is made of 95% natural ingredients). Next to the refill packages, their bottles are made of climate-neutral package.
- Stop buying disposable cutlery and straws. For straws there is a great alternative: glas straws. They are climate friendly, and look better than plastic straws.
- Use the bike or public transportation for short distances, instead of taking the car.
- Use climate-friendly cosmetic products, such as the eco-designed Biotherm Water Lover Sun milk with a 95% biodegradable base formula for a lower impact on the water environment.
- Eat less meat. I recently read that a vegan diet is the most efficient way to reduce your impact on planet Earth, not just greenhouse gases, but global acidification, land use and water use. It is far bigger than cutting down on your flights or buying an electric car, since these only cut greenhouse gas emissions. I’m not vegan, but trying not to eat meat during the week and when possible to prepare my meals vegan (instead of cream, I use coconut cream, instead of milk I drink a substitue, such as coconut milk).
- Share your know-how with others, to increase their awareness on sustainability.
The more you can live daily without creating waste, the better your impact on the environment.
What do you do for a greener existence?